Expected Beginning Date: Fall, 2014
The COO assumes a key leadership role in managing operational, financial and strategic aspects of the School. Areas of responsibility include overseeing the administration of the financial operations of the School human resources, plant / facilities operations, security, facilities planning – including all construction and renovation projects, and risk management. Oversees management of contract facilities services and food service operations and third party services. S/he is responsible for safe-guarding the assets of the School and ensuring that the financial and operational needs of the School and its constituents are met following best practices. Reports to the Head of School and is a non-voting officer of the Board of Trustees.
The successful candidate for this position is a strategic and critical business and organizational thinker, with an understanding of, and commitment to, the mission of The Athenian School. S/he holds a record of successful managerial leadership, experience in a broad range of complex business matters including financial management, facilities management and human resources as well as capital project development and management, and a proven ability to both listen to and communicate well with constituencies inside and outside of the School. This position requires a hands-on professional who is prepared to grapple with and resolve issues in real time as needed.
- Works with the Head of School and Board of Trustees to ensure that the operations, business, and financial objectives of the School are met in an effective and timely manner.
- Directs the business office manager, as needed, with all aspects of financial accounting responsibilities.
- Collaborates with the Head of School and division administrators to ensure that programs remain on budget and are scaled to financial means.
- Secures the highest level of quality products and services for the School’s business functions, with an eye to efficiency, cost effectiveness and sustainability (environmental as well as economic).
- As an Officer of the Corporation, serves as the financial and administrative advisor to the Head of School and provides appropriate access to the School's financial information to the Board of Trustees through the Head of School and the Chair of the Finance Committee.
- Reports directly to the Head of School with responsibility for the present and future operations of the School.
A detailed job description for this position is included. You may also visit the employment page of The Athenian School Web site: www.athenian.org/employment
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• At least ten years of proven managerial, problem-solving and planning capability.
• Significant experience in responsibly managing financial, administrative and day-to-day business operations.
• Passion for continuous process improvement, accuracy and detail.
• Ability to interpret and explain complex issues and their financial/operational implications.
• Strong, hands-on experience in financial management including analysis and reporting, budgeting, asset management, audit compliance, federal and state tax regulations and reporting procedures.
• Ability to strategize and develop mechanisms to manage expenses and capital projects.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, oral communication skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and relate well to students, parents, staff, faculty, and others.
• Must be highly analytical and able to multitask and complete projects in a timely manner.
• Detail oriented and organized; excellent project management skills
• Ability to employ flexibility and creativity in the execution of duties.
• Must be able to work under pressure.
• Collaborative leadership style: must be a team player, with a positive attitude, exemplifying Athenian’s core values and Mission.
• MBA preferred
• Executive managerial experience in the nonprofit sector
• Prior experience as a Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer or equivalent
• An understanding and knowledge of environmentally-friendly business practices (a proven track record of this is a plus)
• Presentation skills
• Knowledge of Blackbaud software.
This is a Full Time, exempt position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The benefits package is excellent and includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, professional development opportunities, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch.
Please send letter of interest, current resume, and three references (in MS Word format or PDF as attachments) via email to: Hiring Manager, at email@example.com.
Please also include the particular source through which you learned about this position: i.e. Athenian website, personal referral, professional referral organization, online job network web link (i.e. Opportunity Knocks, POCIS, Craigslist, others _____________), etc.