Redwood Day School is an East Bay leader in developmentally grounded education that prepares students for high school, for college, and for life. Established in 1963, RDS is an independent, diverse K-8 school that combines challenging academics, small classes, differentiated instruction, and a keen awareness of children's social and emotional development — allowing students to discover and build on their strengths as individual learners. Our learning community is closely connected to our Oakland neighbors through an ethos of service, diversity, and sustainability. Our students develop into self-aware and confident young people who advocate for themselves and others, throughout school and beyond.
The Benefits Administrator/Accounts Payable position is responsible for directing and planning the day-to-day operations of group benefit programs (group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, worker's compensation, life insurance, flexible spending plan, 403(b) plan, etc.) as well as overseeing all accounts payable activities. This person is responsible for providing excellent customer service and must have a particular focus on details.
Essential Job Functions:
Research and Develop
- Research employee benefit plans and vendors to identify those that present the best value
- Design, recommend and implement benefit programs
- Assist in the management of the benefit plan renewal process
- Work with Third Party administrators to negotiate with vendor or administrator for renewal
- Examine possible plan design or benefit cost changes with CFO
Administration: Design, Direct, Comply, Process
- Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third party administrators
- Determine the best plan options by working with the Third Party administrators
- Coordinate transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums and plan administration
- Work effectively to make sure the plans run smoothly
- Investigate discrepancies and provide information in non-routine situations
- Evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency
- Document, and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefit processes
- Ensure proper distribution of assignments and responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations
- Assure timeliness and accuracy of required filings
- Develop long-range objectives regarding benefit programs in conjunction with the CFO
- Coordinate daily benefit processing
- Enrollments, COBRA, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, loans, hardships, compliance testing
- Oversee maintenance of employee benefit files and updating of employee payroll records as they relate to benefit elections
- Gather employee data and oversee the processing of monthly billings and the preparation of vouchers for payment of administrative fees for all group plans
- Perform plan audits
- Survey industry trends. Complete benefit surveys and review information obtained from the results
- Analyze complex benefit information
- Forecast trends and assist with future benefit designs
- Reconciles processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
- Charges expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports; recording entries
- Pays vendors by monitoring discount opportunities; verifying federal ID numbers; scheduling and preparing checks; resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation; insuring credit is received for outstanding memos; issuing stop-payments or purchase order amendments
- Pays employees by receiving and verifying expense reports and requests for advances; preparing checks
- Maintains accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions
- Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions
- Reports use taxes by calculating requirements on paid invoices
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential
- Updates job knowledge by participating in professional development opportunities
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related results as needed
- Assists with annual audit
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree and three to five years related finance and/or employee benefit administration experience required
- PHR and CEBS professional designations preferred
- Excellent communication and organization skills are required
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates
- Capability of effective planning and priority setting
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access, are required
- Knowledge of benefit contract language
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements both adopted and pending affecting employee benefit programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, SECTION 125, Workers Compensation, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.
Redwood Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity and expression, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, or any other unlawful consideration.