Teacher Assistant Preschool
(For ages 3 through kindergarten)
Starts August 19, 2014
Teacher Assistant works as an integral member of the teaching team and assists Head Teachers with instruction and smooth operation of a large mixed age Montessori based classroom. Duties include working closely with individual children and small groups; overseeing class activities; supervising children (during Extended Day, snack, lunch, and nap), and weekly nap laundry. Teacher Assistants spend considerable time structuring and supervising outdoor activities in a variety of climates.
Responsibilities also include communicating observations and insights to Head Teachers; maintaining the prepared environment (indoors and out) per the Head Teacher’s requests; and collaborating with all Teachers on planning, projects, and special events.
Extended Day responsibilities include supervising arrival and activities of students, collaborating to provide an enriching schedule of activities for students, and performing regular safety checks of indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Early Childhood Education core credits (12 units and more is a plus!)
- Minimum of one year of work experience in a Licensed Child Care Center
- Montessori training or experience a plus
- Successful experience working collaboratively as a team member
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and to work passionately and joyfully
- Enthusiasm for guiding children in social emotional understanding via integration of sensory motor and imaginary play.
- 15 hours of current health and safety training (First Aid and CPR) by start date
- Multicultural literacy and sensitivity to the needs of individual children with differing learning styles
- Possess a passion for learning and a commitment to growth personally and professionally
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Bilingual and/or Spanish proficiency is a plus
- Able to lift 50 pounds
40 hours per week with likely 8:00 to 4:00 or 9:00 to 5:00 hours (subject to change).
Overview of School
The San Francisco School is an independent school, pre-K through eighth grade, with a commitment to a multicultural and inclusive community. Suitably characterized by one parent as an “urban school with a village atmosphere,” The School embraces San Francisco’s ethnic, cultural, and economic diversity. Our progressive approach to education encourages children to develop self-reliance, solid academic skills, creativity, and a commitment to social justice. Students learn to think like disciplinarians in a field, consider big and central ideas, and can find and develop their own passions. They graduate academically prepared, inquisitive, courageous, and eager for the challenges ahead.
Interested candidates may apply by sending the following (in one document preferred) to the address below:
- Cover letter
- Official or unofficial transcripts highlighting the required 12 ECE credits
- Three references
- How you became aware of this position
The San Francisco School
Attn: PS Teacher Assistant
300 Gaven Street, SF, CA 94134
Check out our website: www.sfschool.org
The San Francisco School is committed to increasing staff diversity, both to reflect the high value SFS places on a multicultural understanding, and for the direct benefit of each student.