Burke’s is in the midst of a very exciting phase in terms of its communications and fundraising initiatives. Through a newly invigorated digital communications infrastructure, a recent brand analysis and a supportive faculty and staff, this new position will help Burke’s flourish in the social media and multimedia realm and will support a growing philanthropy program, with particular emphasis on an upcoming capital campaign. We are looking for someone who is creative, organized, detail-oriented, comfortable with digital media and willing to learn new skills, and who has excellent verbal and written communications to help document and share the daily life of the school and garner support of its award-winning programs.
Katherine Delmar Burke School is an independent K-8 girls’ school located on a 3.5-acre campus in San Francisco. Based on a 100-year tradition of educational excellence, Burke’s today is one of California’s leading elementary schools. The school combines strong academic and co-curricular programs with an emphasis on personal growth in a diverse and inclusive community. We emphasize the development of fundamental and higher level critical-thinking skills in an atmosphere of creativity, exploration and academic rigor.
The Advancement Associate reports to the Director of Communications and the Director of Advancement and will develop and produce creative concepts for the School’s print and digital publications and fundraising materials. Relevant skills include new media, photography, videography, and graphic and digital design. The Advancement Associate will also provide administrative support to the Advancement Office, with a particular emphasis on planning and implementing a capital campaign.
The Advancement Associate will help tell the story of the school on a daily basis.
- Assist in designing print and digital media
- Create content for the website, email blasts and social media
- Provide photo and video support for events and assist in editing images and video for web
- Assist in creating and supporting microsites for key events, programs and campaigns
- Process vendor payments and arrange for printing bids
- Maintain the communications calendar and archive
- Perform copywriting and proofreading tasks
The Advancement Associate will support the fundraising activities of the Advancement Office.
- Provide clerical support to all Advancement staff as needed
Support all capital campaign activities, including:
- attending committee meetings and taking notes
- tracking donor activity in The Raiser’s Edge database
- creating materials for solicitations and events
- planning events
- scheduling meetings, solicitations and donor visits
- providing prospect research
- preparations for capital campaign committee meetings
- helping to manage Director of Advancement’s calendar
- Provide general office management including ordering office supplies, processing credit card bills and invoices, and other tasks upon request
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Professionalism and confidentiality is mandatory
- Proven strong writing and editorial skills
- Knowledge of independent school or non-profit communications a plus
- Knowledge of The Raiser’s Edge database a plus
- Experience in development a plus
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities
- Ability to interact professionally with high-profile personalities
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands
- Participating in the work of a small development/communications staff, assisting whenever necessary, branching out to other areas if needed
- Photo/video production experience a plus
- Comfort with basic website content management systems
- Ability to work well in collaboration with a variety of individuals
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic knowledge of HTML preferred but not required
The school offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and position requirements. Comprehensive benefits are provided. Burke’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The start date for this position is ASAP.