Children’s Day School (CDS) in San Francisco seeks a dynamic leader for its preschool after school program. Reporting to Extended Program Director and the Preschool Program Director, the teacher is responsible for leading the afternoon teaching staff in providing a developmentally appropriate preschool program for a mixed-age program (ages 3-5). To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
CDS is located on a beautiful, secluded half-acre in the Mission near Dolores Park. Our after school program employs the use of indoor bungalows, woodchips area and climbing structure, farm and garden (featuring six chickens and two sheep!), and a preschool yard with sandboxes, water stations and tricycles.
Orientation and program planning begins August 21 and the position runs until the close of school in mid-June 2014. Daily schedule is 1-5 pm including an hour of planning and program preparation before joining students and day teachers at 2 pm for closing circle and transition to after school. Employment during summer program is optional as well.
· Team: Lead the preschool afterschool team and liaise with the school day teaching team. Collaborate, problem-solve and communicate with preschool teaching team members.
· Curriculum: Assist in planning and implementing an exciting, challenging, child-centered and developmentally appropriate preschool curriculum for the extended program.
· Children: Encourage children to take initiative to solve problems and pursue their own educational interests. Help children think, investigate and ask questions as part of the educational process. Strive to meet each child’s individual needs.
· Families: Support a physically and emotionally safe environment that nurtures and facilitates the development of both children and families. Collaborate with families toward their child’s success.
The ideal candidate will:
· Lead a team of preschool extended program teachers
· Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively with colleagues, students and parents.
· Apply an understanding of the developmental stages of children when observing and working with individual children.
· Model behavior and language that supports our mission and our program.
· Display excellent rapport with children and families.
· Express the desire and ability to take on increasing responsibility in the classroom and the CDS community, and to participate generously.
· Display a passion for learning and a commitment to personal-professional growth.
· Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Work effectively with children, families, and staff of diverse backgrounds and family structures.
· Communicate and problem-solve with the school day teaching staff about students and families.
· Be proficient in technology: email, word processing, photos, etc. Comfort with blogging a plus.
The successful candidate will:
· Have at least a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education (or be working towards one) or in a related field (at least 12 ECE units are required).
· Meet licensing experience requirements (i.e. have worked at least three hours/day for 50 days in an early childhood setting within the last two years).
· Be able to lift 40 lbs (the weight of the average preschool child)
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience. For this position, CDS offers to pay a pro rata share of medical insurance premium.
CDS is a racially and ethnically diverse community and we seek the same in our faculty and staff.
Send resume, cover letter and names of three references. E-mail preferred.
Kasi Campbell, Assistant to the Head
Children's Day School
333 Dolores Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 861-5419 (fax)