Overview of School:
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a part-time 6th Grade Math Assistant at the Middle School campus for the 2014-15 school year.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission “inspires students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) recently featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information about the school.
Overview of Position:
The teaching assistant’s primary role will be in the 6th grade Pre-Algebra classes. The assistant’s main responsibilities include:
· Answering students’ questions proactively in whole-class, small-group, and one-on-one settings
· Facilitating lessons for half classes of approximately nine students
· Creating and executing mini-projects and extension activities for students who grasp concepts quickly
· Collaborating with the other math teachers to ensure a cohesive delivery of the math program
· Providing extra review and remediation for students as needed
The candidate must have:
· A solid conceptual understanding of Pre-Algebra and Introductory Geometry
· Experience with differentiated learning and teaching styles
· Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
· Commitment to creating an inclusive classroom community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
· The ability to effectively communicate with students, other teachers, and parents
· Flexible schedule
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and GLBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation is competitive and depends on experience.
How to Apply:
Send a resume (including written recommendations and/or contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Heather Rogers, Middle School Head
ATTN: 8th Grade Math Asst. Position
Prospect Sierra School
960 Avis Drive
El Cerrito, CA 94530
(Please put “6th Grade Math Asst.” in the subject line).